India is home to 22 of the 30 most polluted cities in the world. The northern plain especially bears the brunt of the air pollution because of wind convergence and geographical disadvantage. The AQI level in some of the cities in northern India is among the worst. Air Pollution has become a chronic problem and a long-term solution to it still seems far away. To tackle the menace of the burgeoning air pollution, government and non-government agencies have been coming up with innovative ideas like switching to cleaner and greener technologies, shifting industries outside the main cities, increasing public awareness, garbage recycling, managing agricultural waste, installing large smog towers, etc.
Despite the best efforts, chances of a drastic improvement in the air quality level will take some time. Besides, ambient air pollution, indoor air pollution is also detrimental to human health. Indoor air pollution can be higher even when outdoor air pollution is low. The reason is multiple sources of indoor air pollution inside your home like gas stoves, use of chemicals and disinfectants, rugs, mats, wooden flooring, etc. The use of room air purifiers has been gaining immense popularity in the past few years due to their effectiveness. A large % of population, however, is still unsure about the use of air purifiers. The most common question being “do we really need Air Purifiers in our home”? Choosing best air purifier for home in India can be a tricky task. Below, we have listed down some of the reasons for bringing a room air purifier into your home.
- Mitigate the symptoms of respiratory diseases: Suspended Particulate Matter or SPM is one of the chief reasons for aggravating the effects of respiratory diseases like Asthma, Pneumonia, TB, Bronchitis, COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) etc. Air Purifiers fitted with advance HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters are designed to capture up to 99.97% of particles larger than 0.3 microns (µm) resulting in clean and healthy air.
- Get rid of pet dander (an allergen) and other allergens: Skin and dander released from the pets are one of the most commonly found allergens inside the home. Left untreated, it can cause hay fever, sneezing and running nose. A high-quality air purifier fitted with pre-filter can catch the dander even before it reaches the main HEPA filter. Apart from this air purifier fitted with a carbon or charcoal filter can also eliminate the problem of pet smells.
- Eliminates chemical gases from the Indoor Environment: A general perception is thatclosing the doors and windows of the house results in the reduction of harmful gases inside homes. However, the reality is starkly different as many regular household cleaners contain toxic chemicals such as chlorine, formaldehyde, ammonia and phthalates. Routine exposure to these chemicals can cause serious health issues like a tumor, cancer and neurological disorders. Modern Air Purifiers with activated carbon filters can eliminate these chemical contaminants avoiding the risk of several health problems.
- Remove uncomfortable Odors: Unpleasant odors can affect the quality of living and indoor air quality. Chemicals such as benzene, gasoline and formaldehyde break down at ambient temperature releasing an off-gassing odor. More commonly known as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), these can be found in paint, aerosol, sprays, air freshener and upholstered furniture. The odor coming from these VOCs can lead to breathlessness, nausea and even affect cognitive functions. Air purifiers equipped with activated carbon and HEPA filters can eliminate these VOCs from the enclosed spaces.
- Reduce cross-contamination and airborne disease:Airborne diseases such as Covid-19 (SARS-COV-2) and other infectious diseases spreading through cross-contamination can be controlled with the use of a modern air purifier. One infected person can infect other ones in the family as everyone is breathing the same air that is infected with bacteria and virus. Airborne diseases can be reduced in 2 ways-
- Active Air Purification Technology: In this technique,hydrogen peroxide ions are release inside an enclosed space. The ions get dispersed inside an enclosed space neutralizing the microbial including the coronavirus at the source itself rendering it inactive by altering its DNA/RNA structure. PHI-Cell and REME are some of the more effective Active air purification technology. O2Cure’s Plug & Play Air Purifier equipped with a tested & proven PHI-Cell technology is equally adept at neutralizing the threat of microbial in the air and also reducing the effect of cross-contamination through a sneeze.
- Passive Air Purification Technology: Advance air purifiers like O2Cure’s Hulk and Elixirequipped with a 6-stage filtration technology are capable of trapping indoor air pollutants including all kinds of microbial. The 6-stage filtration consists of a cold catalyst filter, activated carbon filter, Antibacterial filter, HEPA filter, Ultraviolet sterilize light and Anion purification.